Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Introducing CUSPS/Semi-Retirement/2d Trivia Question/


(P1) Political

Introducing C.U.S.P.S.

(Coletti's Unabashedly Subjective Presidential Scale)

Here are the declared presidential candidates rated (on the basis of hope/good-of-the-country and also slightly upon electability).

The scale is 1 to 10 with 10 being best. Of course, minus numbers are the worst.


I'll revisit this scale from time to time during the coming year.


Tom Vilsack (D-Iowa) 6

Hillary Clinton (D-NY) 6

Barrack Obama (D-Illinois) 9

John Edwards ( D-NC) 8 (This guy needs more of our attention. He has actual good plans for Iraq withdrawl and healthcare!)

Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) 1

Chris Dodd (D-Connecticut) 3

Joe Biden (D-Delaware) 5

Mike Gravel (D- Virginia) minus 1

John Mc Cain (R-Arizona) minus 1

Rudy Giuliano (R- Ny) minus 2

Tom Tancredo (R-Colorado) minus 4

Mitt Romney (R-Mass) minus 2

Mike Huckabee (R-Arkansas) 2

Sam Brownback (R-Kansas) minus107

Comment Here on any of the above or below and read the comments of others too. Log in as "Other" if you like, but please be sure to sign some facsimile of your name. Or email me at edcoletti@sbcglobal.net.

(P2) Poetical

The Wish to Be Generous

All that I serve will die, all my delights,
the flesh kindled from my flesh, garden and field,
the silent lilies standing in the woods,
the woods, the hill, the whole earth, all
will burn in man's evil, or dwindle
in its own age. Let the world bring on me
the sleep of darkness without stars, so I may know
my little light taken from me into the seed
of the beginning and the end, so I may bow
to mystery, and take my stand on the earth
like a tree in a field, passing without haste
or regret toward what will be, my life
a patient willing descent into the grass.

-Wendell Berry-

Comment Here on any of the above or below and read the comments of others too. Log in as "Other" if you like, but please be sure to sign some facsimile of your name. Or email me at edcoletti@sbcglobal.net.


(P3) Philosophical

Bumper Sticker (seen in Santa Rosa just before Valentine Day)

Love Your Enemies
It really gets them confused.

Comment Here on any of the above or below and read the comments of others too. Log in as "Other" if you like, but please be sure to sign some facsimile of your name. Or email me at edcoletti@sbcglobal.net.


(more than) Trivia Question: Who said this? put your answer here

"The position in which we are now is a very strange one which in general political life never happened. Namely, the thing that I refer to is this: To have security against atomic bombs and against the other biological weapons, we have to prevent war, for if we cannot prevent war every nation will use every means that is at their disposal; and in spite of all promises they make, they will do it. At the same time, so long as war is not prevented, all the governments of the nations have to prepare for war, and if you have to prepare for war, then you are in a state where you cannot abolish war.This is really the cornerstone of our situation. Now, I believe what we should try to bring about is the general conviction that the first thing you have to abolish is war at all costs, and every other point of view must be of secondary importance."

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago, during the Kennedy period, Rudy would have been elected as a Democrat. I'd vote for him now as a Republican because no other candidate can claim the Conservative mantle. That makes me a Democrat

Anonymous said...

My question is, if Hilary Clinton were a man, would she be a "10?" She has more diverse and mature experience, more courage, than Baraka. He can be her Vice President. Woman Prez, Black Vice Prez? Works for me. The only other question then is: does Bill become the first Lady? Or the first Gentleman? Will he redecorate the White House?

Anonymous said...

check out the governor from new mexico ... he has some compelling experience and ideas on what to do

Anonymous said...

Some interesting choices, Ed. I agree wholeheartedly about Barack (one "R"). I like Edwards too BUT did anyone see Dennis Miller trash him on Jay Leno last night? Of course, Miller's opinion doesn't count in this corner after telling the world he is a big Dubya fan! Oy! I like Rudy more than you although not necessarily to vote for (Did he just recently back pedal on Abortion rights? Oy!) I also agree with Fred across the way here about Bill Richardson of New Mexico. Can he jump into the spotlight to bring some focus to his effort? My last comment on Mrs. Clinton: Her War stand is very dicey, and alas, I don't think she is electable, having nothing to do with her being a woman! She evinces a lot of the "stuff" that plagued Kerry and a lot of other politicians. Too much waffling and too many agendas. But then I said the same thing (not being electable) TWICE about Bush the Younger! Oy!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Larry C. about Clinton. She has way too much baggage that will keep her from being elected. She's leading the polls now, but remember Dean in '04. Obama and Edwards are saying things I like, but I don't think Obama will make it, in fact, I'm sorry he chose to run now and not wait a term or two. As of right now he doesn't even have the black vote. Edwards faces the battle of a "ran once and lost" candidate. It will be tough for him if he's nominated. Richardson has great qualifications and is now saying things that make more sense than things he said a year ago. And, he's Hispanic, which I have stated here before is what we'll see in the White House before an African-American (I hate that label)or a woman. He wants to let the 12 million or so illegal aliens off the hook, which I think is wrong, but otherwise he sounds pretty good. A little laid back, though.

The rest of the Dem runners should get out of the race right now, they are only confusing the issue. This country is ready for some strong leadership....no, this country is begging for strong leadership. Where the hell is it?

I wouldn't give McCain a minus score, although I wouldn't vote for him either. I liked him a couple of years ago, but he's lost it now in various ways.

Rudy? Had he not been caught by a camera crew on 9-ll walking the streets as buildings crashed around him, no one outside of NYC would know or care anything about him.

Mitt Romney? Hey, Big Love. How many first ladies will there be? and other jokes in the same vein.

BUT, the Democrats had better get off their collective back sides fast and get something cooking in Congress, or they will get a rude surprise in Nov, '08. Why, oh, why are they wasting so much time on this idiotic, useless resolution. W is laughing is ass off at these clowns while he prepares to invade Iran.
Three carrier strike groups in the Middle East waters? Are they to support the ground action "surge" in Baghdad? Hardly. WWIII anyone?

Anonymous said...

Ed,

I'm with you on your assessments. I really like Barack and John Edwards. The latter, especially comes off as a really decent, caring person. And Barack is just charisma personified--plus I agree with him politically. Edwards, too. Would be nice to have a woman, but think Hillary has too much baggage--and I don't mean Bill--think he's an asset.

Judy - your neighbor

Anonymous said...

Bush is forever saying that democracies do not invade other countries and start wars. Well, he did just that. He invaded Iraq, started a war, and killed people. What do you think? What is he doing to us, and what is he doing to the world?
Are we safer today than we were before?
The more people that the government puts in jails, the safer we are told to think we are. The real terrorists are wherever they are, but they aren't living in a country with bars on the windows. We are.

Ed Coletti said...

Dear Anonymous,

I'll let it go this time, but please include your name next time. Even something like first name and last initial. Thank you. And thank everyone for your thoughtful responses
past, present and future.

Anonymous said...

I am surprised that you did not include the name of Bill Richardson (D-New Mexico) onl your list of Prez. hopefuls. Or was it because he hasn't declared himself yet?

To me, he seems like the best of the lot and should get a pretty high number.

jenny6664

Ed Coletti said...

You're correct, Jenny. To my knowledge, Bill Richardson had not declared as of the February 13th date of the CUSPS posting. Perhaps next time I do CUSPS, he will have declared, and then I certainly will include him as a serious candidate.