Thursday, September 13, 2007

My Man Kucinich/Human Nature?/Pity the Nation

(P1) Political

All the Way With Kucinich (in the primaries)

I never thought I'd write this, but I'm fed up with making pragmatic political choices. For years, I've wanted to support the best possible candidate who could get elected. Now I'm not so sure that this approach serves the best interests of our country. Therefore, what I've chosen to do is to support the candidate who best embodies the values and ideas which I believe best serve the nation. In my opinion, that candidate is Dennis Kucinich. Here's what he stands for:

1. Strength through peace. He's opposed the Iraq war from the beginning.
2. A healthy nation - universal health care
3. Sustainability
4. End to poverty
5. Saving true capitalism
6. Sustaining constitutional democracy
7. Survival of the middle class

Granted these are but slogans, so, if you are interested, read in detail at

http://www.dennis4president.com/go/issues

If these values mirror your own, why not join me in supporting Kucinich at least during the primaries. This is one real way to set the tenor going into the Democratic Convention.

Of course, if you are a Republican, but are sick of the war in Iraq, the abysmal health care picture, and the general heedlessness of your party, why not consider becoming a Democrat and then further consider joining me in supporting Dennis Kucinich in the primary elections.

Comment Here on any of the above or below and read the comments of others too. Log in as "Other" if you like, but please be sure to sign some facsimile of your name. Or email me at edcoletti@sbcglobal.net.

(P2) Philosophical

"What we call 'human nature' in actuality is 'human habit'."

-Jewel Kilcher

Comment Here on any of the above or below and read the comments of others too. Log in as "Other" if you like, but please be sure to sign some facsimile of your name. Or email me at edcoletti@sbcglobal.net.


(P3) Poetical

Pity the Nation

- after Khalil Gibran

Pity the nation whose people are sheep,
and whose shepherds mislead them.
Pity the nation whose leaders are liars, whose sages are silenced,
and whose bigots haunt the airwaves.
Pity the nation that raises not its voice,
except to praise conquerors and acclaim the bully as hero
and aims to rule the world with force and by torture.
Pity the nation that knows no other language but its own
and no other culture but its own.
Pity the nation whose breath is money
and sleeps the sleep of the too well fed.
Pity the nation — oh, pity the people who allow their rights to erode
and their freedoms to be washed away.
My country, tears of thee, sweet land of liberty.

-LAWRENCE FERLINGHETTI

Comment Here on any of the above or below and read the comments of others too. Log in as "Other" if you like, but please be sure to sign some facsimile of your name. Or email me at edcoletti@sbcglobal.net.



4 comments:

PAULA said...

Ed, I'm curious how you would define "true capitalism."

Ed Coletti said...

OK, Paula, I'll give it a try. First I'll say what I think it means, and then I'll research what Dennis Kucinich considers "true capitalism."

"True Capitalism" is a system based upon true or fair laws of supply and demand, an opportunity for entrepreneurs willing to take a chance by spending his or her resources to make a buck and thereby create further wealth within the system or nation without the deck being stacked against them by huge global cartels which buy politicians and steal the chance from those willing to compete fairly within the game. A system of True Capitalism would seek to eliminate cheating somewhat akin to the use of steroids. That's my 2 cents.

As to Kucinich's ideas on the subject, I think it would be best to study his views at his website (see link)

Andrea said...

I have to say I enjoy human habit.
A

Duncan said...

Lazy as I am and not wishing to do research, how does Kucinich's platform differ from that of Edwards?

Edwards has an excellent chance at nominiation and election. Kucinich has, IMO, less than 5% chance for nomination and 0% for election.

I know you said you didn't care about the electability (?), but I think Edwards is pretty close to Kucinich on the issues you laid out.